Drag & drop copying
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Drag/drop copying rather irritatingly ties up the 'from' window until the copy operation is complete currently. This occurs both with folder-to-folder (within the same partition) copying, and with partition-to-partition copying operations.

Would it be possible to do the equivalent of prepending 'wbrun', thus preventing the copy operation from freezing up the window to other inputs? I suppose I could drag & drop the names into a cli window (or type them in - uggghh!), but I'm pretty lazy (er, efficient) when it comes down to it.

Alternatively, is it possible to alter the default drag & drop copy operation to a custom setting? I realise that it is possible to alter the default operation from 'copy' to 'move' using the preferences (Settings>Ambient>Miscellaneous), but this doesn't allow for any custom setting as far as I can see.

It's been a while since I really did any large copy operations on anything but MorphOS (or the goddamn PS3), but I thought that this issue was solved by AsyncWB way back in OS3.x days.

Thanks

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/8/7 21:15 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »07.08.10 - 20:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    First, ambient is asynchronous. It's not because the source view is set to sleep it's synchronous.

It just has this convervative behaviour to prevent from messing up with the source data (for instance deleting selection) while it's being copied.

Anyway, you have two choices there to change that:
    - use copy/paste, it doesn't set source view to sleep
    - edit sys:prefs/ambient/advanced.conf and use "donotputrefwindowtosleep = true"

Regarding move/copy, the behaviour is inverted if you maintain ALT pressed during (or before?) drag'n'drop.
  • »07.08.10 - 20:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    First, ambient is asynchronous. It's not because the source view is set to sleep it's synchronous.

I knew I'd read somewhere that MorphOS was fully asynchronous, which is why this behaviour surprised me.

Quote:

It just has this convervative behaviour to prevent from messing up with the source data (for instance deleting selection) while it's being copied.

Understood, although I would say it detracts from the user experience slightly - I've been trying out a few newbies on my MorphOS setup, and this is one of the things they found frustrating (and doesn't prevent a determined fool from deleting files anyay, since one can still navigate to the same location using another window).

Quote:

Anyway, you have two choices there to change that:
    - use copy/paste, it doesn't set source view to sleep
    - edit sys:prefs/ambient/advanced.conf and use "donotputrefwindowtosleep = true"

Excellent!
    [/Mr_Burns_voice]

The second option does exactly what I wanted to do.
    Many thanks Fab - great support as always. ;-)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »08.08.10 - 12:15
    Profile Visit Website